- Degree in joint hon.s Mathematics and Physics from the University of Bristol
- PhD from Cambridge University with Cyrus Chothia in Theoretical and Computational Biology
- Research Associate for the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge
- PMMB fellow at Stanford University with Michael Levitt in Computational and Structural Biology
- RIKEN Scientist with the GER group at the Genome Sciences Centre in Tokyo
- Associate Professor at Tokyo Medical and Dental University
- Visiting scientist at the Pasteur Institute in Paris
- Professor of at the University of Bristol
Research AreasThese can be explored through the group research page under the headings of the four research areas below, but my interests currently include: transcription, regulation and cell fate; non-coding sequence; intrinsically disordered proteins; function and phenotype prediction; viral evolution; mutation analysis; drug repurposing; continuous monitoring devices; directed evolution.
Organisations and funding
- Member: BBSRC pool of experts for Research Committees
- Member: International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB)
- Director and co-founder: genetrainer
- Editorial board: BioEssays
- Guest editor (2010,2012): Current Opinion in Structural Biology
- Research in this group is currently supported by the BBSRC, EPSRC, NERC and Google Research.
Research in this group has previously been supported by the EU Seventh Research Framework Programme [FP7], Google Research, the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Amazon (AWS) and the Royal Society.